Monday, September 25, 2023

Bridget Brown's Blog for September.

 



 

I hope your fall is going well, picking apples and seeing the leaves changing. It is always one of my favorite times of the year. I hope you are enjoying the fall season as well.

 

Can you believe that the year is going so fast! It seems like it is flying by for me.

 

I am back in school at UIC and loving it. I met a few new students in my class.  I get dropped off at the Behavioral Science building and can get around the building by myself. I also went to the activities fair on campus and had a blast. I signed up for some groups and organizations and hope to get more involved in things on campus.

 

I am also doing fine in the LEND Program. I Love it!  I have learned about how trauma impacts people, especially in the disability community. Guest speakers presented who were self-advocates and they shared their personal stories with us.  I learned a lot about Autism screening and how that is the first step in getting a diagnosis. I understand more about what to look for when trying to make a diagnosis especially when kids are really young.   One of my friends presented and he works for para-Olympics and is an amazing self- advocate and a nice person.

 

I still work as a standardized patient actor in the nursing simulation lab at UIC. I also work in the lab helping to set up the rooms and help out the nursing students who are there.   

 

Today you are on a special treat because I am going to tell you about an agency called HELING HAND that is near me.  I went there to visit with a team of people to learn more about what they do.  This is also part of the work I am doing for LEND.  Helping Hand a place that provides support and services for people with disabilities.   I saw two of my friends there who I have not seen for a while.  One is a friend from high school and another one from the recreation program and a person I worked with when I was a person- centered planning coach support person.  I was excited to see them.


First we visited the day program where people do art, learn life skills, enjoy and participate in music, participate in a wellness program where they learn healthy living habits and participate in a fitness program. Some of the participants work at jobs in the community, One person we met actually works at  the Chicago Lyric opera house and loves music. He was very excited to tell us about how he gets there on the train and what he does as a job. 

 

We also visited one of their community homes where 8 people live. It was beautiful and the girls had a whole side of the house to themselves and the males had the other side.  It had a huge kitchen and big table where they share meals. I was really impressed with the laundry room because I love laundry.!!!

 

People are doing all different things in their life and so that makes me think that it is a place that tries to be person centered and that is one of my favorite things that I always encourage people to do when making plans and designing lives.

 

Here is a little information about Helping Hand. 

 

Helping Hand is a nonprofit organization dedicated to improving the lives of children and adults with developmental disabilities in Cook County and greater Chicagoland communities. We offer a wide range of person-centered programs and services that enhance the educational, therapeutic, residential, and employment opportunities for those we serve. Our programs and services include a school, progressive employment programs that promote inclusive workplaces, pediatric therapies (occupational and speech/language), high school transition services, Community Living (CILA), and specialized programs with high team member-to-client ratios for seniors with disabilities.

Have a great month and I will be back soon.
Bridget Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bridget Brown's Blog for September.

    I hope your fall is going well, picking apples and seeing the leaves changing. It is always one of my favorite times of the year. I ...