Thursday, October 27, 2022

October Blog by Bridget Brown: An Interview with Moira



Welcome to October! It seems like this year went so fast. How was your fall going so far? I have been to Wisconsin a few times this month to see the leaves and do some camping.

I am working hard at my college classes and things at college are fantastic. The class I am taking now is Disability and Film. It is very interesting but hard. I am learning how films and movies show people with disabilities in both positive and negative ways. I have a letter of accommodations now so I can receive the accommodations and support I need to succeed in my classes.

I am now working two times a week at the UIC Nursing school and I am also working as an actor at the school as well. It is great! I am now picking out my classes for next semester. I am finally getting comfortable down at the University and it feels great to get dropped off and walk a short way to my work. I also just met a mentor friend who is willing to help me learn about some of the fun things I can do at college and I don’t feel so alone.

Let me tell you about a dear friend of mine, Moira Morgan. I have known her for a long time and today I interviewed her to find out more about her and what she has accomplished in her life so I can share her story with you.

Moira is a strong self-advocate who has many gifts. She describes her life as AMAZING!

The first thing you notice about Moira is that she is a very positive person and very kindhearted. She is also an incredible person who captures your attention with her loving smile that brightens every room she is in. She has two sisters and a brother. She is also an aunt of 4 nieces and nephews.

She went to Naperville North High School and was included in school. She was involved in activities at high school that she enjoyed very much.

Now, Moira is very proud to work as a customer service courtesy clerk at Mariano’s grocery store. She likes to visit with her friends when she is working and her favorite part of work is getting a drink at Starbucks.

During her transition years after Highschool she worked at a plant nursery called WE GO DREAMS & at Goodwill.

She is also a self-advocate public speaker and loves to talk to people about her life.

One of her favorite things to do is spend time with friends. She is in a bunco group, a book club, and she does many activities with her special recreation group. She hangs out with friends on the weekends.

Moira travels a lot and has been to Wisconsin, Missouri, Italy, London England, Paris and Spain with her family. Moira attends her local church called St. Peter and Paul and was in the youth group there when she was younger.

She was involved with special Olympics and went to a summer camp often when she was growing up with her sisters. Summer camp was wonderful because she loves swimming. She was also involved with Best buddies at IL Benediction.

Now she takes classes at College of DuPage. She wants to take music and ballroom dancing and is looking for more educational classes she can take. A few years ago, I took a culinary class with her at College of DuPage.

I asked her about some of her success strategies. She said she said she is successful when she is super friendly to people and when she is organized. She is pretty good with organizational skills.

She thinks it is important to let people know when she needs help and when she doesn’t need help.

She thinks it is important to get rest because she is at her best when she is well rested.

When she is at work she listens to her boss and is respectful to others. She is a hard worker and contributes a lot at her work.

Moira has a wonderful life filled with family, friends, work and activities. She said she is always busy!

Thank you for reading my blog.

Have a great THANKSGIVING DAY and I will connect with you soon. Be Grateful for all the wonderful things in the world and for friends like Moira.

Bridget Brown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Bridget Brown's Blog for September.

    I hope your fall is going well, picking apples and seeing the leaves changing. It is always one of my favorite times of the year. I ...