Friday, June 30, 2023

June Blog by Bridget

 



I hope you are all having a great summer.  I always love June because it kicks off the summer. My favorite summer things are summing, fishing, camping, and sleeping at a cabin.

Enjoying the warm summer doing all the things you love to do.

 

We have a summer camp and this week we are hosting a group from the AWESOME LIFE ACADEMY.  They are a fantastic group of people!  Next week we are hosting a group from ENVISION and I am also looking forward to being with all of them. If you want to check out our camp video go to the website: www.normanbarrcamp.org. You can see a really great video on there about camp.  I have been at this camp every summer since I was born and it is close to my heart. I work in the candy store, doing dishes and the grounds.  Great fun!

 

I am pretty excited that I am enrolled in the LEND training program that starts in the fall.  Illinois LEND is LEADERSHIP EDUCATION IN NEURODEVELOPMENTAL AND RELATED DISABILITIES.   I had to apply to get accepted so I am really thrilled.  They have a group of people who are self -advocates that they include in this training program so I will let you know how it goes.  If you are interested in doing this go to their website and think about applying next year.

 

Another great thing that you might be interested in is that I received an amazing scholarship from Ruby’s Rainbow. Ruby’s Rainbow gives college scholarships to people with Down Syndrome. I have about 1 ½ years to continue my program at the University of Illinois Chicago so this scholarship will help me reach my dreams. If you have Down Syndrome and want to go to college, check out RUBY’S RAINBOW.

 

My friend Ashley and I are the keynote speakers at the Illinois Transition Conference this November.  We are applying to present at the SPEAK UP SPEAK OUT conference also.   Check out these two events.  Join us at SPEAK UP SPEAK OUT! It is a lot of fun and you will get to meet a ton of self–advocates!!

 

I will be in touch next month to talk about FUN FOR THE DISABLED!!

 

May you find lots of fun things to do in July.

Dwell in the possibilities!
Bridget 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Bridget Brown's Blog for September.

    I hope your fall is going well, picking apples and seeing the leaves changing. It is always one of my favorite times of the year. I ...